Registreren

[ANSWERED] Bedlington terrier and Wilson disease.

Vraag & antwoord mei 2010 en juli 2011.

Moderator: Team VoerNatuurlijk

*Site Beheerder*
*Site Beheerder*
Aantal honden: 2
Aantal katten: 3

[ANSWERED] Bedlington terrier and Wilson disease.

Berichtdoor Ester » vr 30 apr, 2010 20:47

Dear Lyn,

Thanks again for your support!

A friend of mine has two Bedlington terriers of which one carries a disease which is caused by a defect in the COMMD1 gene. A disease which is typical for this breed. She wants to switch her dogs to a raw diet.
I don’t know how exactly I should translate the name of the disease to English but in humans it’s called the Wilson’s disease. I suppose you know what I’m trying to say.
I wonder wether you have any experience with feeding dogs with this complications and/or what you would recommend to do.
I worry especially about organ meat because it contains a relatively large amount of copper.
Normally I advice to put a certain dose of organ meat in the diet of a dog but I don’t know what to advice to owner of dogs with this disease.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,

Ester.

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Re: Bedlington terrier and Wilson disease.

Berichtdoor Dr. Lyn Thomson » za 01 mei, 2010 23:20

Hi Ester

Most conventional vets will limit copper intake and supplement with zinc
As a raw feeder I would look to nature - feed whole carcasses with liver removed, this way you will still have some organ meats but not in an excessive amount.
Most raw fed dogs have plenty of zinc on board - I would suggest feeding whole rabbit with liver removed, chicken frames with organs attached but not feeding organs as a meal or adding additional organ meat to the diet of raw meaty bones.
Hope this helps

All the best
Lyn

*Site Beheerder*
*Site Beheerder*
Aantal honden: 2
Aantal katten: 3

Re: Bedlington terrier and Wilson disease.

Berichtdoor Ester » zo 02 mei, 2010 11:40

Hi Lyn,

Thank you for your answer, it's indeed very helpful for me. I forward your answer to my friend so she can finally switch her dog to a raw diet. I'll keep you in touch with that.

Best wishes,

Ester.

Keer terug naar Gastschrijver Lyn Thomson (2010 - 2011)