[ANSWERED] X-ray shows stomach full of undigested bones

Vraag & antwoord mei 2010 en juli 2011.

Moderator: Team VoerNatuurlijk

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

[ANSWERED] X-ray shows stomach full of undigested bones

Berichtdoor Phileine » za 01 mei, 2010 13:42

Hello dr. Thomson,

Somebody alerted me to this forum where you would be answering questions. I am in dire need of a vet with expertise in raw-feeding, but since I live in southern Spain I can´t find such a person in the direct neighbourhood. The vets here consider raw feeding something ridiculous end maltreatment of the dog.

My problem is this: We have been feeding our dog (Beagle) raw meat and bones since she was about 6 months old, it always went very well and she really enjoyed it. She is now a year old. Only the past two weeks I noticed she was getting a bit dull, sleeping a lot, although she seemed happy enough and was playful and mischieveous as ever when awake. Last Wednesday evening she got problems after eating (lamb), looked like she had something stuck in her throat. I couldn´t get it out by hand so I took her to the emergency-vet and they removed it with the use of a scope. They also made an x-ray and that showed that there were a lot of undigested bones in her stomach. I include a copy of the x-ray here. I can see from the bones that some of them must have been there for about two weeks (one is a rabbit leg, and she last ate that two weeks ago), which doesn´t seem very healthy or normal to me.

The vet told me off about the raw feeding, said it was strictly forbidden to ever feed bones to a dog, etc. She was very worried about the pH of the stomach being too low. She gave me some medication to help digest the bones, but only when I was back home I discovered that this medication is to neutralise gastric acid . This seems a bit odd to me, because I think the acid is needed to digest the bones. Also, I have understood that a very low pH in dogs that eat bones is normal, and nothing to worry about.

Could you advise me on how to continue now? As you can understand I am a bit scared to continue feeding raw meaty bones. I don´t know enough about animal medics to independently go against the advise of the vet, but I still believe in raw feeding. Also, how should I continue to get the bones that have now piled up in her stomach to come out? So far I haven´t given the medication against the gastric acid yet, but I don´t know if that is wise. The dog is happy and playful enough, she doesn´t seem to be in any pain, not even when I palpate her stomach.

Sorry for this long story, I just wanted to make the story as clear as possible. The x-ray is shown below. Thanks in advance for your time.

Saskia

Afbeelding

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Re: X-ray shows stomach full of undigested bones, how to proceed

Berichtdoor Dr. Lyn Thomson » za 01 mei, 2010 23:06

Thank you for the detailed question and the great x-ray
I need more information - can you tell me exactly what the dog was eating in the two weeks leading up to the incident - please outline everything the dog eats or scavenges
This is a dog who is not digesting properly and usually I can find a reason for that - I just need lots more information
My best advise is to starve the dog for 24 hours until I have the details.
I am sorry to hear you are unsupported in your raw feeding

All the best
Lyn

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Re: [ANSWERED] X-ray shows stomach full of undigested bones

Berichtdoor Phileine » ma 03 mei, 2010 18:07

Hello Lyn,

Thank you for your answer.
She has a fairly standard menu each week. Depending on availability the type of fish I vary those between sardines, mackarel or sometimes others like bass.

fry -- chicken carcass
sat -- rabbit (depending on the size of the rabbit I chop it in two or three parts and save the other part for the next week)
sun -- vegetable mix with yoghurt and an egg
mon -- two quails
tue -- chicken liver and chicken kidneys and an egg
wed -- mackarel whole
thur -- lamb ribs or beef

I know you advise to give lots of green tripe, but it´s not possible to get it here. For some reason it´s forbidden to sell it in Spain. I can give clean tripe and I sometimes do that as a treat, but I understand it doesn´t have any nutricional value.

In the week before the picture was taken I couldn´t get rabbit, so I replaced it with two quails. The x-ray was taken on a thursday night.

She also tends to eat some grass now and then to vomit, and I have noticed her vomiting a bit more in the past weeks.

Hope this helps

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Berichtdoor Phileine » ma 03 mei, 2010 21:10

I don´t know if it is significant, but about a month ago she got an anti-histamine shot because she stepped in a dangerous jelly fish (a portugese man o´war). She didn´t got ill from it, only had a limp for a day. I don´t know if this can have influenced the digestive system.

*Mooie Moppies*
*Mooie Moppies*

Berichtdoor Debora » vr 07 mei, 2010 09:41

This question is still not fully answered, right?

I'm curious also how it can happen that this dog had undigested bones in his stomach ?
Afbeelding

*Site Beheerder*
*Site Beheerder*
Aantal honden: 2
Aantal katten: 3

Berichtdoor Ester » vr 07 mei, 2010 12:35

Debora schreef:This question is still not fully answered, right?

I'm curious also how it can happen that this dog had undigested bones in his stomach ?

Je hebt kennelijk dit bericht gemist. :wink:

Hoi allemaal,

Het is niet meer mogelijk om nieuwe vragen aan Lyn te stellen, dit in verband met de data die we hadden afgesproken. Lyn heeft aangegeven dat ze het deze week heel druk heeft, en de vragen die nog onbeantwoord zijn, nog zal beantwoorden in het weekend of net na het weekend.

We hopen op jullie begrip.
http://www.voernatuurlijk.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=27826

*Mooie Moppies*
*Mooie Moppies*

Berichtdoor Debora » vr 07 mei, 2010 13:16

Ester schreef:
Debora schreef:This question is still not fully answered, right?

Je hebt kennelijk dit bericht gemist. :wink:

Hoi allemaal,

Het is niet meer mogelijk om nieuwe vragen aan Lyn te stellen, dit in verband met de data die we hadden afgesproken. Lyn heeft aangegeven dat ze het deze week heel druk heeft, en de vragen die nog onbeantwoord zijn, nog zal beantwoorden in het weekend of net na het weekend.

We hopen op jullie begrip.
http://www.voernatuurlijk.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=27826

Begrip okey :wink:
Maar het is iig mij en vast de t.s ook niet duidelijk hoe dit kan gebeuren of wat je er tegen moet doen.
Daarom snapte ik niet dat er boven dit topic beantwoord stond, snap je?
Afbeelding

*Kleine Tovenaar*
*Kleine Tovenaar*

Berichtdoor Suzanne » vr 07 mei, 2010 15:50

Het bericht IS ook beantwoord door Lynn, maar ze had meer vragen..

Vandaar "answered" waarschijnlijk?

Suzanne

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Berichtdoor Dr. Lyn Thomson » ma 06 sep, 2010 13:20

Apologies for not responding to the more urgent Beagle question at the time. Very hard scenario to answer at a distance. I hope you found some local veterinary support.

All the best
Lyn

Keer terug naar Gastschrijver Lyn Thomson (2010 - 2011)