Moderator: Team VoerNatuurlijk

*Site Beheerder*
*Site Beheerder*
Aantal honden: 2
Aantal katten: 3

[ANSWERED] Minced foods.

Berichtdoor Ester » zo 02 mei, 2010 12:08

Hi Lyn,

My question about the ultimate diet, brings me to another question: In the Netherlands there are a lot of people who feed minced complete commercial prepacked meat. Some of these owners think it's easy: they don't have to make a menu for their dogs, don't have to worry to buy all different kind of meat-products to make a balanced menu etc. And some owners are just afraid of giving their dogs raw meaty bones. (I don't mean owners of sick dogs or dogs who digest RMB's badly, I mean healthy dogs)
In the Netherlands there are about 20 different brands who are selling these minced products. Not all of these manufacturers are using good quality products in their product and so they add some minerals/vitamins to their product so the dog will still gets his vitamins. I'm worried about those dogs, the fact that the food is raw, doesn't make it all perfect in my opinion.
Some of those dogs are never seeing any raw meaty bone -or anything what's big enough to "chew" on- at all. In my opinion big pieces are better for the dogs health -both mentally and physically- Is it healthy enough to feed this minced food in your opinion, or should you give anything else too? Like big pieces of green tripe and whole carcasses etc? I wonder whether you have any experience in your own practice with this?

I'm curious how you feel about that.

Thanks in advance,

Ester.

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Re: Minced foods.

Berichtdoor Syltje » zo 02 mei, 2010 12:41

Hi Lyn,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer our questions.
I have an addition to the question above. How does this all apply to cats?

Thanks in advance,

Sylvana

Snuffelaar
Snuffelaar

Re: Minced foods.

Berichtdoor Dr. Lyn Thomson » ma 03 mei, 2010 13:38

Ester schreef:Hi Lyn,

My question about the ultimate diet, brings me to another question: In the Netherlands there are a lot of people who feed minced complete commercial prepacked meat. Some of these owners think it's easy: they don't have to make a menu for their dogs, don't have to worry to buy all different kind of meat-products to make a balanced menu etc. And some owners are just afraid of giving their dogs raw meaty bones. (I don't mean owners of sick dogs or dogs who digest RMB's badly, I mean healthy dogs)
In the Netherlands there are about 20 different brands who are selling these minced products. Not all of these manufacturers are using good quality products in their product and so they add some minerals/vitamins to their product so the dog will still gets his vitamins. I'm worried about those dogs, the fact that the food is raw, doesn't make it all perfect in my opinion.
Some of those dogs are never seeing any raw meaty bone -or anything what's big enough to "chew" on- at all. In my opinion big pieces are better for the dogs health -both mentally and physically- Is it healthy enough to feed this minced food in your opinion, or should you give anything else too? Like big pieces of green tripe and whole carcasses etc? I wonder whether you have any experience in your own practice with this?

I'm curious how you feel about that.

Thanks in advance,

Ester.

Any minced product is more processed than whole prey or a piece of raw meaty bone and therefore not as wholesome.
Minced product does not provide texture for cleaning the teeth and satisfying the need to chew.
The marketing of minced products is always very powerful - and a very expensive exercise - in my own practice I encourage people to look at the marketing and then see if the product meets expectations. If the marketing says "feed your dog like a wolf" then by definition it should not be a minced product !
In my practice I encourage owners to be confident in their raw feeding. There is no need to rely on a "complete and balanced diet" as this is a very artificial concept and balance over time is much more natural. If supplements are added in to the mix then these are artificial forms of the nutrients and not as easily available to the dog.
I trust in the ability of a carnivore to be able to absorb what he needs from a species appropriate diet in the right amounts - supplementation tends to throw out the natural balance. If the gut of the carnivore is dysfunctional then he may need supplemental support to get his gut back to normal. I see many cases of inflammatory bowel disease in dogs fed on commercial dry diets and often these dogs need some additional support to heal the gut at the start of their raw feeding. I use probiotics and digestive enzymes when necessary - often green tripe and pigs pancreas is enough.

Hope this helps
Lyn

Syltje schreef:Hi Lyn,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer our questions.
I have an addition to the question above. How does this all apply to cats?

Thanks in advance,

Sylvana

Cats are obligate carnivores and are more in need of being raw fed than dogs ! Dogs are opportunist carnivores - geared up to survive by foraging if they have to when prey is scarce.
Cats very quickly break down their own protein stores if prey is in short supply.
So I encourage owners to stop all dry cat food and switch to raw meaty bones for cats - just smaller prey - rabbit/hare/chicken/quail/rats/mice if available. Cats can be harder to change as their commercial food is made to be very palatable. But can be achieved with determination on the part of the owner. Taking the dry biscuits out of the diet is the first step and using familiar wet foods to encourage the eating of raw meaty bones is the next step.

Hope that helps
Lyn

Keer terug naar Gastschrijver Lyn Thomson (2010 - 2011)